One of the most frustrating things for a home owner is to end up with a clogged drain and finally having to call a professional to clear the clog. One can eliminate the plumber’s house call for clogged drains by doing a few simple things on a regular basis. These steps are effective and certainly save money on products to clear your drain and the cost of a house call from a plumber.
The following steps are what are needed to keep your drains free from clogs:
- The stopper that is used in your sink is usually something that you never think about until it needs to be replaced. Regular maintenance of your sink stopper can help eliminate clogs.
Baking soda poured into the drain hole over the stopper works wonders. Wipe the excess and scrub the stopper and the drain thoroughly with a damp rag or sponge and then rinse the drain completely with hot water.
- Cooking grease is a drain’s worst enemy. Never pour cooking grease down your drains. Cooking grease can be poured into a soup can or some other can and disposed of after it solidifies.
- Hair is usually the culprit when there is a clogged drain in your bathroom sinks and bathtub drain.
Always remove trapped hair from the sink drain before it goes down the drain and causes a clog. In the your shower and tub, remove the screen with a screwdriver. Then remove any hair that has accumulated and clean the screen with a scrubber to avoid future problems. Do this on a regular basis.
- Boiling water is excellent for sinks. Boil some water and pour it down your sink drains once a week to keep the drains clear of clogs. With a bathtub, fill the tub with hot water and let the hot water run down the drain. This is effective at keeping clogs from forming.
- Garbage disposals can be effective tools, but when large quantities of food are put into the garbage disposal, clogs can accumulate and give you a real problem. Never pour large quantities of food down your drain or into your garbage disposal.
These five steps are just some that should be effective in keeping your drains clear of clogs and save money in the long run.
About Drain Patrol
Drain Patrol has been providing plumbing services to the San Diego and surrounding areas for over 30 years! Drain Patrol is an Insured, Licensed Contractor (Contractors License #841408) and a Better Business Bureau member.
With Drain Patrol, the estimate is always free. You approve the estimate before any work is started.